Friday, February 22, 2013

In-Home Workouts

It is snowing today. When it snows it means I really don't want to get the kids bundled up. I really don't want to trudge around in the snow and I REALLY don't want to deal with all the slippery snowy roads.

Even though I know you all don't live in snowy climates, I'm sure we all have days where we just don't want to go anywhere. So today I am going to focus my post great in-home workouts.

1. Youtube: my favorite go to source for working out at home. I have some pilates video favorites, but youtube has anything! Zumba, kickboxing, yoga, circuit training...whatever! It may take a few tries to find videos you like and feel comfortable with but it definitely mixes it up when working at home seems boring.

2. Jump Rope: Find an open space and go for it! One of the most effective cardio workouts, jumping rope can burn anywhere from 11-20 calories per minute! And as a bonus you can watch TV while doing it!

3. Run (or walk) Stairs: We don't all have them, but if you do it can be a great workout. This burns 100-239 calories in just ten minutes (depending on your weight and if you are running or walking them). Throw on your favorite music and you might even enjoy yourself!

4. Video games: I know this sounds juvenile, but doing a dance game with the kids or hula hooping can burn a surprising number of calories. A bonus is that my kids think I'm cool (they don't have a good gauge yet for what "cool" is)

5. Labor Intensive Housework: Ditch the mop and wipe the floor on hands and knees. Shovel the snow (for us cold people) mow the lawn (for all you warm people) reorganize the garage, carry laundry up and down the stairs, paint a wall, or do some serious scrubbing. Did you know cleaning is in myfitnesspal? If you just have to much housework to go to the gym, combine to two. Throw on some music and dance while you sweep!

Just one other item of business before heading into the weekend. I am sad to see so few people commenting. The main purpose of this challenge is to help eachother, share ideas, and be accountable. But the process will fail if there is no participation. Please please please make your comments. How are things going? What works for you? WHat are your plans to stay committed going into this weekend?

Good luck and I'll see you on Monday at Check-in!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks for the post Heidi, and the reminder to comment.

    I'm also a winter indoor worker-outer, and find it fun and challenging to find motivating workouts for the winter.

    Right now, I think my favorite indoor workouts are ones (like Heidi touched on) that leave me feeling like I've done two things at once. Like catching up on my favorite show while riding a stationary bike. Or working up a good sweat while I'm cleaning the house. Oh, and I think I hear my house calling. Better run!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I exercise indoors and outdoors all winter long. I love teaching and going to other people's classes because I find I push myself more than I would on my own.
    I love running and have found a lot of ways to stay warm when outside even when the wind chill temperature is in the negatives. I'm happy to share those if anyone who may be interested - let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's hard to workout at home when I still have kids at home, only 1 is in school. So unless I want to wake up before them (NOT a morning person) or workout after they go to bed then I get them involved....I use my kids as weights!! They think it's fun when I bench press them or let them sit on me while doing sit ups or push ups!

    ReplyDelete