Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Whatcha Eatin' Wedensday

Congratulations on making it two days in! Does what you are eating seem to be at the forefront of your mind? In a couple of weeks you will be pros, and healthy eating will be second nature.

Today's post is going to be about how to eat healthy when you're cooking for one. For me that is lunch! This is the meal that I typically want to be easy and fast, and sometimes easy and fast isn't always healthy. Here are some lunch options that I use to keep me going, but are low in calories:

Open Face Turkey Sandwich (206 Calories):
Whole wheat bread (one slice), lots of turkey slices (maybe 6), half a slice of pepperjack cheese, 3 small slices of avacado.

Veggie Tortilla Pizza: (220 Calories)
Tortilla, pasta sauce, mushrooms, green peppers, shredded mozzarella cheese (2 T)

Baked potato with Broccoli and Cheese: (272 Calories)
Baked potato with 1 cup chopped broccoli topped with 1/4 cup shredded cheese.

Southwest Baked Sweet Potato: (213 Calories)
Baked sweet potato, 1/4 c black beans, 1/4 cup corn, 1 T sour cream, 1/4 cup salsa, sprinkled with cumin.

These are just a few options that I rotate through regularly. Another great option is eating healthy leftovers. Doesn't get faster or easier than that!

I also love to uses Wednesdays as "recipe swap" days using your favorite healthy recipes. Here's one I used this week for the first time and it was AMAZING.

Mexican Lime Soup with Chicken (270 Calories for 1.5 cups)

Ingredients:

  • 2 or 3 limes
  • 3 chicken breasts
  • 1 tsp. kosher salt, plus more, to taste
  • 1/2 tsp. freshly ground pepper, plus more, to taste
  • 1 large white onion, chopped
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 jalapeƱo chili, seeded and minced
  • 3 cups chicken broth  (or water with 3 chicken boullion cubes)
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 Haas avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
  • 1 cup rice (mine was leftover from a previous meal)
  • 1 cup corn (frozen or canned)
  • 2 tsp cumin
  • Cook and cut chicken. Put in large saucepan with all ingredients. Simmer until bubbly. 
What are you eating this week? 

Heidi

2 comments:

  1. I love your meal ideas Heidi! This week we were on vacation and I have not been good about my eating - full of white bread (which I try to avoid too much bread in general, but especially white!) and Robin Eggs! Candy is not very tempting for me until Easter time when those heavenly yet evil Robin Eggs come out. We had an Easter Egg hunt where my boys got a ton of them which of course I let them share with me. I finally told McKay last night to go through all the candy and take all those darn Robin Eggs to his office with him - I'm done!

    So what am I eating the rest of this week, now that I'm not filling up on Robin Eggs? I'm a salad guru and LOVE to create yummy salads. I have also found that Soups are generally good for helping me when I want to lose weight. While in Utah we went to Zupas which is AWESOME!!! They have great soups, salads, and sandwiches (which I have not had but McKay loves). Here is the website for anyone who wants to get some ideas - we've used their menu several times to get inspiration for salads and soups to make on our own.
    http://www.cafezupas.com/menu/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea Julie to use Zupas menu! I also love zupas and good salads! Here is the recipe for a salad I made this week that we really like:

    Salad

    2 bunches spinach
    1/2 c. fresh bacon bits
    1/2 c. red pepper
    1 red onion
    wontons
    sliced strawberries
    1/4 c. parmesan cheese
    1 c. toasted nuts, sweetened (I just use sliced almonds)

    Dressing
    1/2 c. red wine vinegar
    3/4 c. canola oil
    1/2 t. dry mustard
    1/3 c. sugar
    1 t. salt
    3/4 c. strawberry or raspberry jam

    The dressing isn't the most healthy, but it is really good! So just go light on it! ;)

    Enjoy!


    ReplyDelete